Instagram is one of the world’s most popular social media platforms. Owned by Meta, it has over a billion users. So it is no wonder that so many businesses use this social media platform to promote their services. Especially the young adults between the ages of 18-34 (Distribution of Instagram users worldwide as of October 2021, by age group by Statista). Throughout this post, I’ll explain how the Instagram algorithm works, why Instagram caption hooks are important and provide some hook ideas.
Your Instagram captions can play a crucial role in helping you build and grow your business as a marketer. As Instagram favours posts that people engage with, you want people to read your captions and comment on your posts to increase your engagement. This is why using caption hooks on Instagram can work wonders. When your hook is interesting, your audience will want to stop the scroll and read your caption, eventually taking the action you want them to do.
How Does the Instagram Algorithm Work?
In order to understand why Instagram caption hooks are important, we first need to understand how the Instagram algorithm works.
Let’s take a look at Adam Mosseri’s video below to get a better understanding of Instagram’s algorithm.
Instagram shortens captions after 3-4 lines on mobile devices, therefore the first thing you see after the image is the hook. The caption hook is a short sentence or phrase that you include at the beginning of your Instagram caption to capture attention. You can use these hooks to get people to read and comment on your posts. And of course, to get them to take action by visiting your website to find out more about what you offer.
Below you will find 65 Instagram caption hooks that will help you generate more engagement and likes on your photos.
65 Instagram Caption Hooks
- “Calling all ….” (identify a specific audience such as web designers, social media managers, digital marketers, coaches, therapists etc.)
- “Can I share a secret?”
- Write a joke if your brand voice allows it.
- “Which one are you? A)… or B)…”
- “Did you know ….”(share an interesting statistic)
- “How to …”
- “Fun fact: ….” (share a fun fact about the day, month, industry etc.)
- Start with a quote from influencers in your niche
- “Unpopular opinion: …” (share your unpopular opinion)
- Start with using interesting words
- Address your niche with a sentence such as: “Hey social media managers, I see you over there juggling a million things at once.”
- ”The craziest thing just happened, you will never believe it….”
- “I wasn’t going to share this, but …”
- “I’ll tell you a secret no one has ever told you.”
- “The biggest lesson I’ve learned in my life.”
- “You need to hear this today.”
- “Let’s figure out why!”
- “X things I learned this year”
- “Do you only focus on …? Let me stop you right there.
- “Here’s how I know … is possible for you”
- “X Steps to …”
- “I can’t believe … but …”
- “Hate …? You are in luck.”
- “Tips when ….” (creating your social media posts, organizing your room etc.)
- “X accounts you need to be following today!”
- “Let’s talk about …”
- “Mistakes I made when …”
- “Hack you never knew”
- “X Ways to …”
- “How I went from …”
- “You’ll never believe this.”
- “I have a confession to make.”
- “What I wish I had done differently.”
- “Why I don’t …”
- “What to do after …”
- “Does this sound like you?”
- “Fill in the blank …”
- “What happened when I …”
- “This is what I love about …”
- “Want to know something crazy?”
- “Struggling with your …? You’re going to want to save this.”
- “Can I be honest with you for a bit?”
- “Ever ask yourself, how …?”
- “New week, new goals! Let’s do it!”
- “Don’t you love when you …?”
- “What do you think of this one?”
- “You might need these!”
- “If you have one … goal, start doing this!”
- “Having trouble …? This post should solve your problem!”
- “If I had to start all over again”
- “You don’t want your …, right?”
- “People love to ask this question: ..?”
- “Don’t read the caption 👇”
- “I don’t know who needs to hear this but …”
- “Steal my …” (blog writing process, content creation strategy etc.)
- “Who’s with me?”
- “Comment X if you want this for yourself.”
- “I want to take a moment to be extremely honest with you.”
- “Comment something you’ve heard that might be a myth!!”
- “Something I’ve learned about … recently.”
- “How to come up with … ideas.”
- “This is not a joke.”
- “I can’t believe I’m sharing this.”
- “I’ve always been … but …”
- “It really doesn’t have to be complicated.”
As a result, if you’re creating content for Instagram and don’t feel inspired to write a creative Instagram caption hook from scratch, let this article be your lifesaver. Select one of the sentences above and write your main caption to instantly increase your post’s exposure. They work for all types of businesses, too—so don’t worry if you aren’t selling anything.
Did you know we are offering social media design services? Click here to see our Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn design plans.